Beer drinking Malaysian model starts doing community service
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian Muslim model, who escaped caning for drinking beer, began community service on Friday helping out at an orphanage.
Thirty-three-year-old Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno was sentenced to caning for drinking beer but her punishment was commuted to doing community service by the Pahang state sultan.
The former part-time model begun her three-week community service at the Tengku Ampuan Fatimah Children’s Home (TAFCH) near Kuantan. She will do chores as regulated by the home from 8am to 5pm, online media reports said.
Kartika will also stay in a guest house located within the compound of the home and meals will be provided by the Pahang Islamic Affairs Department (JAIP) and the children’s home.
Her father said Kartika was a bit sad before they bid farewell. "Kartika is free to go anywhere she wants after 5pm but she is advised to stay in the home for her own safety," he added.
The Islamic Shariah High Court had on July 20 last year ordered Kartika to be caned six times and fined 60,000 rupees after she was caught consuming alcohol at a hotel in Cherating on July 11, 2008. Kartika settled the fine. Her case has also attracted local and international attention.
Alcohol is widely available in Malaysia but is forbidden for Muslim Malays, who make up 60 percent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof