Begin work this year on immigration reform: Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama said on Wednesday he wants to begin work this year on legislation overhauling the nation`s immigration system, firming up his commitment on a key priority for Latino voters and lawmakers.
Obama`s comments at a Cinco de Mayo celebration at the White House reaffirmed his long-held support for immigration reform. He went a step further than he has in the past by calling for the work to begin this year.
Latino groups have been calling for Obama to deliver on his campaign promise of making immigration reform a top priority, with some activists and lawmakers in the Congressional Hispanic Caucus complaining he wasn`t doing enough.
Obama clouded the issue last week by saying "there may not be an appetite" in Congress to deal with another hot-button issue immediately after gruelling fights over health care and financial regulation.
There also may not be enough time left on the legislative calendar to take up a contentious issue with midterm elections looming in November, but by making the commitment Obama may at least be able to tell Hispanic groups he tried.
Obama acknowledged immigration reform would be difficult to achieve and would require bipartisan support — something that`s lacking in the Senate right now. And he made no commitment to finishing the process this year.
But he said it was the only way to deal with the nation`s immigration problems.
"The way to fix our broken immigration system is through common-sense comprehensive immigration reform," the President said.
"I want to begin work this year and I want Democrats and Republicans to work with me."
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev, who`s up for re-election in a state with a growing Latino population, also recently said he wants to tackle immigration overhaul this year, although pending energy legislation — another divisive issue — would likely come first.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know