Beijing begins military recruitment of college students
Beijing: More than 1,000 representatives from over 30 universities in Beijing on Monday joined in a ceremony held to mark the start of the military recruitment of college students.
Brochures introducing recruitment policies were distributed and students` questions about the policy were answered in the event, which was jointly organised by the Ministry of National Defence (MND) and the Ministry of Education.
Students also had a chance to talk with Liu Yang, China`s first female Astronaut, who took part in the Shenzhou-9 space mission in June last year, reported Xinhua.
Officials said college students will enjoy advantages related to registration, admission and arrangements for military recruitment.
An online recruitment service run by the MND is ready to receive applications, with recruitment procedures scheduled to begin Aug 1, according to a Friday statement issued after a national teleconference on conscription.
The previous recruitment period began in October. The change is the first in 23 years.
The statement said the new recruitment period, which follows graduation season, will encourage more talented young people to join the military.
The Chinese military started recruiting college graduates in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest