Beijing downpours toll rises to 37
Beijing: With the recovery of more bodies, the toll since Saturday`s torrential rains has climbed to 37 in China, said the Beijing municipal government late Sunday.
The heaviest rain in six decades lashed the Chinese capital on Saturday, with the average precipitation reaching 170 mm while a township in the suburban district of Fangshan recording 460 mm of rain. The downpours have submerged some power supply facilities and led to blackouts in parts of the city, Xinhua reported.
According to the municipal government`s information office, of the total victims, 25 died by drowning, six were killed in house collapses, one by lightening strike and five others were electrocuted. Twenty-two of the bodies have been identified, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj