Beijing mulls downplaying English in college entrance
Beijing: Authorities in Beijing are exploring an option to reduce the role of English proficiency in college entrance exams.
Beijing education authorities started soliciting public opinion Monday over a college entrance examination reform scheme, which aims to downplay the role of English proficiency, Xinhua reported.
Starting in 2016, points for the English portion of the exam would be reduced from 150 to 100, while the entrance exam`s total score would remain at 750, according to the Beijing Education Examinations Authority.
English exams will be offered twice a year, and examinees can take exams multiple times and choose their best score for inclusion in the total score.
Meanwhile, the points for the Chinese subject exam will increase from 150 to 180, and points for either social sciences or natural sciences will rise from 300 to 320.
Education authorities will aim to test students` practical English abilities more effectively, according to the scheme.
In addition, the total English score for the senior high school entrance examination will be reduced from 120 to 100, with 50 points devoted to listening comprehension. The change will also go into effect in 2016.
In near future, primary school students will not begin learning English before third grade, according to sources with the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education.
Presently, kids in Beijing start learning English from the first day of joining a primary school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes