Beijing vows more efforts to improve air quality
Beijing: Beijing will strengthen its efforts to slash the density of major air pollutants by two percent this year, an official said Tuesday.
The capital will take 180,000 old vehicles off the road and promote clean energy autos among government departments, the public and the urban cleaning sector, which includes street cleaners and trash collectors, acting mayor Wang Anshun said at the opening of a session of the Beijing Municipal People`s Congress, the municipal legislature, reported Xinhua.
The heating systems of 44,000 old, single-story homes and coal-burning boilers downtown are to be replaced with clean energy, Wang said as he delivered a government work report.
The city will also speed up the promotion of clean energy in rural areas and strictly control dust in construction projects, said Wang.
He vowed to strengthen air quality monitoring and analysis, as well as the release of such information.
Earlier this month, several consecutive days of smoggy weather choked Beijing, as readings for PM2.5, or airborne particles measuring less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, exceeded maximum reading levels in many areas.
Authorities took emergency response measures, including suspending outdoor sports activities for primary and middle school students and halting work at some construction sites in extremely polluted areas.
In response to public demand, real-time air quality monitoring data on PM2.5 intensity in China`s 74 major cities, including Beijing, has been released since Jan 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends