Beijingers turn to Weibo to beat floods
Beijing: A group of people in Beijing have turned to Weibo, a social networking site, to help those stranded in rain-triggered floods by offering them free rides, accommodation and meals.
The Chinese capital has witnessed one of the heaviest rainstorms in six decades over the weekend, the Global Times reported Monday. At least 37 people have died.
This goodwill gesture of people shows they are seeking ways to respond to social needs and convey concerns in a way that influences the policy-making process, said experts.
Among those who benefitted from the endeavour were Ye Teng and her husband who arrived at the international airport here Sunday only to find there were no taxis to take them home.
The couple were among 80,000 passengers held up at the airport, but private car owners who answered calls on Weibo helped them to reach their destination, the daily said.
More people have since joined the team offering help on Weibo.
Zhu Guofan, a private entrepreneur, announced on Weibo that his company was offering rooms and refreshments free to people stuck in the rain.
Wang Xiaoyu, a professor in Shanghai`s Tongji University, told the paper that many well-educated people tend to be more active on social networking sites like Weibo and are more capable of helping others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt