Belarus court gives death to Minsk metro bombers
Minsk: A court in Belarusian capital Minsk Wednesday sentenced two men to death for carrying out a bomb attack that killed 15 people and injured 200 in the Minsk metro.
Dmitry Konovalov was convicted of taking the bomb to the metro, while Vladislav Kovalyov was convicted of delivering the explosive device to an apartment rented by the two defendants and helping Konovalov detonate the device at the central metro station in April.
Delivering the verdict, the judge read out the names of those killed or injured in the subway bombing, Xinhua reported.
Prosecutors said the accused chose the central station in order "to kill as many people as possible".
Konovalov was also convicted of a July 2008 bombing that injured 54 people, and another bombing in September 2005 that injured around 50 people.
When the trial began Sep 15, Konovalov initially admitted to carrying out the metro bombing, but then refused to make a statement or testify in his own defence.
Human rights activists have urged Belarus not to apply the death penalty in the case. Rights activists launched petition drives against the execution and collected 50,000 signatures.
Belarus is the only European country still with the death penalty. Sentences are carried out by a shot in the neck.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’