Belarus executes Minsk subway bombers
Minsk: Belarus has executed two men convicted for a deadly subway bombing in the capital Minsk last year, Belarusian news agency Belta reported.
The mother of one of the convicts, Vladislav Kovalyov, said her son was executed by shooting.
"I have received a notification saying the verdict had been fulfilled," Lyubov Kovalyova said.
Konovalova said the letter from Belarus` Supreme Court was dated March 16. She maintained that her son had been innocent, and accused the authorities of attempting to "pin their crimes on our children".
The execution of the second convict, Dmitry Konovalov, was also officially confirmed.
Last November, Konovalov and Kovalyov were convicted for the bomb attack at Minsk subway`s most crowded station April 11, 2011, which killed 15 people and wounded hundreds.
President Alexander Lukashenko refused to pardon the men despite calls from Western governments and rights groups not to carry out the death sentence. Belarus is the only nation in Europe still allowing capital punishment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly