Belarus releases detainees as EU readies sanctions
Minsk: Belarus on Saturday released seven detainees, including a former candidate for the presidency, who were arrested in December during mass street protests over the re-election of President Alexander Lukashenko.
The move came on the eve of an expected announcement by the European Union that it will reinstate a visa ban on Lukashenko and other Belarussian officials in response to his crackdown on protests following his disputed re-election in December.
Belarus`s KGB state security police said in a statement that Vladimir Neklyayev, 64, and six other people, including the wife of another jailed presidential candidate, were being provisionally released because of good behaviour.
Neklyayev, a poet who heads the "Tell the Truth" movement, and Irina Khalip, who is married to Andrei Sannikov of the "For a European Belarus" movement, would be kept under house arrest, the KGB statement said.
Neklyayev himself was beaten by state security police on December 19 while he was on his way to join a protest march in the city centre and was spirited away from his hospital bed to jail by KGB state security officials while recovering.
Analysts said the Lukashenko leadership had clearly timed the move to complicate the EU`s approach to punitive measures against the ex-Soviet republic whose conduct during the December 19 election it has harshly condemned.
The United States has also said it is weighing renewed sanctions and has equally called for the release of detainees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant