Belgian cops release first photos of Brussels suicide bombers
The Belgian authorities on Tuesday released pictures of two suspected suicide bombers who are believed to have triggered the deadly explosions at the Zaventem airport and another at the main metro station this morning.
Brussels: The Belgian authorities on Tuesday released pictures of two suspected suicide bombers believed to be behind the deadly explosions at the Zaventem airport and the main metro station here this morning, which left at leasr 28 people dead and over dozens injured.
As per the Brussels Police, the two have been identified as Najim Laachraoui and Mohamed Abrini.
The two men in question are also believed to be involved in Paris terror attacks.
At least 28 people were killed as two deadly explosions rocked the Zaventem airport and another the main metro station here on Tuesday, four days after the arrest of the Paris terror attack suspect in the Belgian capital.
In what looked like a coordinated terror strike, a suicide bomber was apparently involved in the airport carnage where two quick explosions just after 8 a.m. left a part of the departure hall looking like a war zone. At least 13 people were killed and over 30 injured, Belgian media said initially.
Even as Belgium raised its terror alert to the maximum, a third equally powerful blast occurred - at the Maalbeek Metro station near the European Union building killing at least 10 people.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel appealed to people to "avoid any movement". The airport was hurriedly evacuated and both the airport and Metro station were shut down.
Belga news agency reported that shots were fired and shouts in Arabic were heard before the two blasts, BBC said. People were seen coming out of the airport building with blood on their faces.
Condemning the attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said, "News from Brussels is disturbing. The attacks are condemnable. Condolences to the families of the deceased. May those injured recover quickly."
The incident came as the Belgian capital was on a state of high alert following the arrest of Paris terror attack suspect Salah Abdeslam in the city last week.
On Monday, Belgium's Interior Minister Jan Jambon said the country was braced for a possible revenge attack following the capture of the 26-year-old Abdeslam.
France is seeking Abdeslam's extradition so he can stand trial for his alleged role in the November 13 rampage of gunfire and suicide bombings which killed 130 people in Paris.