Belgium: €250 bounty for reporting a veiled woman
Brussels: Belgian right-wing extremists have offered to pay a bounty of EUR 250 to anyone who reports about a veiled woman to police.
The Vlaams Belang political party offered the reward in the wake of face veil riots in Brussels, The Daily Mail reports.
A senior ring-wing party official Filip Dewinter said that the riots made police apprehensive about enforcing the burqa ban. He claimed that the payment should put pressure on authorities to further enforce it.
Dewinter said: "It`s a textile prison for the women who have to live under it." The riot broke out after a Muslim woman was arrested for refusing to remove her face veil, or niqab.
A Brussels police spokesman said he was unaware of the money being offered, but added that any officer who sees a woman wearing a niqab would issue a penalty.
He said: "When someone is breaking the law we always have to intervene, demonstrations or no, the niqab is prohibited."
Women in Belgium risk a maximum fine of EUR 150 (GBP 120) if they wear a full-face veil in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!