Belgium: 70 sex abuse victims to sue Vatican
Brussels: A group of 70 people claiming to be sexual abuse victims of clergy will take Vatican and Belgian church officials to court, claiming they offered them insufficient protection from paedophile priests.
Lawyer Walter Van Steenbrugge said on Friday he will lodge the complaint in about two weeks. He said religious officials, including the pope, had failed to take proper action to prevent such abuse.
The Belgian church got involved in a major abuse scandal last year when Bruges Bishop Roger Vangheluwe was forced to resign after he admitted he abused for 13 years his young nephew. Later, hundreds of victims came forward with tales of abuse by clergy going back decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Hamid Ansari's Morocco visit will boost strategic partnership with India: Larbi Reffouh
- Chabahar port deal 'not finished'; Pakistan, China welcome: Iran
- Listen to the government, Bajrang Dal is not BJP, says Amit Shah
- Read this to know where Barack Obama will stay after retirement!
- Virat Kohli plays straight without compromising technique: Sachin Tendulkar