Belgium government wins confidence vote
Brussels: Belgium`s new government won a
parliamentary confidence vote on Saturday, the last hurdle in
resolving a political crisis in the linguistically divided
country that lasted a record-breaking 541 days.
Of 143 deputies present, 89 voted in favour of the
six-party administration headed by Elie Di Rupo, a
French-speaking socialist, with 54, notably Flemish
Di Rupo`s government of six ministers from thriving
Dutch-speaking Flanders in the north and six from struggling
French-speaking Wallonia in the south was sworn in on Tuesday
but faces an uphill battle to tackle problems at the root of
As divisions sharpen between its two parts, the country
that plays host to global institutions such as the European
Union and NATO is struggling to remain united around a joint
political and economic vision.
The 6.5 million people of Flanders resent funding the 4.5
million of southern Wallonia, and the government was only
formed when the powerful separatist N-VA party was excluded
from the lengthy coalition talks.
The N-VA, which refuses to call Di Rupio prime minister,
the extreme right Flemish Vlaams Belang, a French-speaking
federalist party and the Greens of both communities voted
against the government today.
In his speech before the vote Di Rupo pledged, "We will
be the government of profound and lasting change, but without
breaking our social model, our life in common and our federal
He is Belgium`s first French-speaking premier in more
than three decades and the first socialist at its helm since
Top of his agenda is a planned 11.3 billion euros in
budget cuts, the toughest austerity measures in 70 years.
It took soaring borrowing costs and a Standard & Poor`s
downgrade from AA+ to AA late last month to jolt Belgium`s
politicians to put aside their differences and clinch a
With debt at 96 per cent of GDP last year, just behind
Greece and Italy in the eurozone, the coalition has pledged to
balance the books by 2015 but many economists say Belgium
might not achieve the 0.8 per cent growth the budget foresees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says