Belgium to provide air support to French operation in CAR
Brussels: Belgium announced on Friday that it would provide air support to the French military operation in the Central African Republic (CAR).
In CAR`s capital city Bangui, there have been an estimated 450 killings in the past week and 160 in other parts of the former French colony as security forces try to disarm former rebels, EuroNews reported.
For strategic airlift in the period between late December 2013 and late January 2014, four A-330 flights of the Belgian Army will be used to transport equipment and soldiers from France to the CAR capital Bangui and neighbouring countries, Xinhua reported.
Under the tactical airlift for an initial period of two months from the end of January 2014, a C-130 of the Belgian Army will fly between the Gabonese capital Libreville and Bangui, assume transport in the CAR from Bangui and transport equipment and soldiers, French and African, between African capitals.
A detachment of 35 Belgian soldiers will embark on this mission, which may be extended by one month.
Belgium is actively engaged in military operations in Africa. It gave air support to France and Britain in Libya, to France in Mali, and to the UN in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic