Belgium votes to ban wearing of Islamic burqa in public
Brussels: Belgium became Europe`s first
country to vote for a ban on the full Islamic veil or burqa,
sparking dismay on Friday among Muslims and warnings of a
dangerous precedent with France set to follow suit.
The bill, which also draw fire from human rights group
Amnesty International, will not enter force for weeks and may
have to be re-examined if early elections are called as
Belgium battles a political crisis.
"We`re the first country to spring the locks that have
made a good number of women slaves, and we hope to be followed
by France, Switzerland, Italy, and the Netherlands; countries
that think," said liberal deputy Denis Ducarme.
In the lower house of the federal parliament yesterday
night, 136 deputies supported a nationwide ban on clothes or
veils that do not allow the wearer to be fully identified,
including the full-face niqab and burqa.
There were two abstentions. No one voted against.
The ban will be imposed in streets, public gardens and
sports grounds or buildings "meant for public use or to
provide services" to the public, according to the text of the
People who ignore it could face a fine of USD 20-34
and/or a jail sentence of up to seven days.
All governing parties and the opposition agreed on the
move -- most for security reasons linked to the fact that
people cannot be recognised while wearing the clothing.
In Le Soir newspaper, Michael Privot, an Islamic
scholar, said Belgium "now joins Iran and Saudi Arabia in that
exclusive but unenviable rare club of countries to impose a
dress code in the public domain."
He said the three cite "the protection of dignity, or
even the freedom, of women to justify the unjustifiable: the
restriction of individual freedoms of some of our citizens."
The vice-president of the Muslim Executive of Belgium,
Isabelle Praile, warned the vote could set a dangerous
precedent and pave the way for a crackdown on other symbols of
religious expression such as Sikh turbans.
"Given the acute crisis which our government is
facing, this move to kill our liberties, which will deprive
dozens of women of their fundamental rights, is totally over
the top and driven by ideology," she told agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?