Ben Ali brother-in-law dies in custody: Tunisia prison chief
Tunis: Moncef Trabelsi, the brother-in-law of ousted Tunisian strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali who was jailed for fraud, has died in custody of a brain tumour, the country`s prisons chief said on Friday.
"He died at the neurological hospital where he was taken (from jail) on March 18. He had been operated on for a brain tumour," the prisons chief, Habib Sboui, said.
Sboui added that Trabelsi, 69, had been unconscious for the past "four or five days".
Trabelsi had been sentenced to prison for fraud soon after the January 2011 uprising that toppled Ben Ali.
His sister is Leila Trabelsi, the wife of Ben Ali, who was also accused of stealing state funds.
The couple fled to Saudi Arabia on January 14 of that year amid a massive popular uprising against his rule.
Other members of Moncef Trabelsi`s extended family, including in-laws, were arrested in Tunisia where they faced trials in a military court.
But unlike some members of the Trabelsi clan, which wielded much sway during Ben Ali`s rule, he himself held little influence in the country`s affairs.
One of his brothers, Belhassen, fled Tunisia for Canada, where in May the immigration board rejected his residency appeal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack