Benedict to move into retirement home inside Vatican
Vatican City: Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is expected to take up residence inside a renovated ex-monastery inside the Vatican, according to sources within the Holy See.
"It is highly probable that Ratzinger will return to the Vatican Thursday," the sources said.
Benedict XVI will retire to apartments in the newly-renovated former monastery together with his private secretary Monsignor Georg Gaenswein.
The 85-year-old Benedict, whose papacy was hit by a series of scandals, abdicated in February, saying he lacked the physical and mental strength to stay in the job.
Since stepping down, Benedict has been staying at the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo outside Rome while renovation work on his retirement home has been carried out.
He became the first pope to abdicate in some 600 years and was succeeded by Pope Francis, earlier Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who was elected pontiff in a March conclave.
Benedict has said he will live out his retirement "hidden from the world" in the Mater Ecclesiae former monastery located inside the Vatican Gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty