Benedict to move into retirement home inside Vatican
Vatican City: Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is expected to take up residence inside a renovated ex-monastery inside the Vatican, according to sources within the Holy See.
"It is highly probable that Ratzinger will return to the Vatican Thursday," the sources said.
Benedict XVI will retire to apartments in the newly-renovated former monastery together with his private secretary Monsignor Georg Gaenswein.
The 85-year-old Benedict, whose papacy was hit by a series of scandals, abdicated in February, saying he lacked the physical and mental strength to stay in the job.
Since stepping down, Benedict has been staying at the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo outside Rome while renovation work on his retirement home has been carried out.
He became the first pope to abdicate in some 600 years and was succeeded by Pope Francis, earlier Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who was elected pontiff in a March conclave.
Benedict has said he will live out his retirement "hidden from the world" in the Mater Ecclesiae former monastery located inside the Vatican Gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS