Benedict to move into retirement home inside Vatican
Vatican City: Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is expected to take up residence inside a renovated ex-monastery inside the Vatican, according to sources within the Holy See.
"It is highly probable that Ratzinger will return to the Vatican Thursday," the sources said.
Benedict XVI will retire to apartments in the newly-renovated former monastery together with his private secretary Monsignor Georg Gaenswein.
The 85-year-old Benedict, whose papacy was hit by a series of scandals, abdicated in February, saying he lacked the physical and mental strength to stay in the job.
Since stepping down, Benedict has been staying at the papal summer residence at Castel Gandolfo outside Rome while renovation work on his retirement home has been carried out.
He became the first pope to abdicate in some 600 years and was succeeded by Pope Francis, earlier Argentine cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who was elected pontiff in a March conclave.
Benedict has said he will live out his retirement "hidden from the world" in the Mater Ecclesiae former monastery located inside the Vatican Gardens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference