Benedict toasts brother`s 90th with Mass, music
Vatican City: Retired Pope Benedict XVI is marking a milestone of sorts.
On Wednesday he toasted his brother Georg on his 90th birthday, celebrating Mass together and attending a concert in the Vatican gardens.
Monsignor Georg Ratzinger was ordained a priest the same day as the future pope in 1951 and they share a love of music. Ratzinger was a frequent visitor when Benedict, 86, was pope and has continued visiting in Benedict`s retirement.
The brothers spent Christmas together at Benedict`s retirement home in a converted monastery in the Vatican gardens, and Ratzinger stayed on a few weeks so they could celebrate his birthday together.
The Vatican said they started their day concelebrating Mass, having a festive breakfast complete with Bavarian songs and toasts and ending with a concert in Ratzinger`s honor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside
- Rio Olympics: Sachin Tendulkar meets wrestlers ahead of quadrennial event, boosts morale
- IPL 2016: Shane Watson reprimanded for using offensive language during match against Delhi Daredevils
- Photo alert! Aamir Khan dines with 'X-Men' star Ian McKellen