`Benghazi attack on US Consulate was pre-planned`
Washington: The attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi that killed American ambassador Chris Stevens was pre-planned and included foreigners, Libyan President said on Sunday.
President of Libya`s National Congress, Mohamed Magariaf, in an interview to the CBS news aired today said his government has arrested about 50 people, some of which are foreigners and connected to al Qaeda.
"They entered Libya from different directions, and some of them definitely from Mali and Algeria," he said.
"These ugly deeds, criminal deeds were directed against them, the late ambassador, Chris Stevens, and his colleagues, does not represent in any way, in any sense, the aspirations, the feelings of Libyans towards the United States and its citizens," Magariaf said referring to the death of four Americans including the US Ambassador to Libya.
"The way these perpetrators acted and moved, I think we --and their choosing the specific date for this so-called demonstration, this leaves us with no doubt that this was preplanned, predetermined," Magariaf said in response to a question.
"Definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago, and they were planning this criminal act since their arrival," he reiterated.
The security situation in the country he said is difficult, not only for the Americans, even for Libyans themselves.
"We don`t know what are the real intentions of these perpetrators, how they will react. But there is no specific particular concern or danger for Americans or any other foreigners," he noted.
"We firmly believe that this was a pre-calculated, pre-planned attack that was carried out specifically to attack the US Consulate," he said in an another interview to National Public Radio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday