Berber Nouri Bousahmein chosen as interim Libya leader
Tripoli: Independent MP Nouri Bousahmein, a member of Libya`s Berber minority, was elected on Tuesday as head of the General National Congress (GNC), making him the country`s interim leader.
Bousahmein, the first Berber to hold such a senior post in Libya, replaces Mohammed Megaryef, who stepped down after a law was adopted banning from politics those who served under ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Bousahmein was chosen by the assembly on a second ballot, after leading a nine-candidate first round.
He received 96 out of 184 votes, against 80 for another independent, Al-Sherif al-Wafi.
Under the rules of the GNC, Libya`s highest legislative and executive body, a simple majority was required for the election of its president.
The country`s two leading parties, the Muslim Brotherhood-backed Party of Justice and Construction and the liberal Alliance of National Forces, did not put forward candidates.
At the beginning of today`s session, the PJC called for the vote to be postponed until a commission has been formed to apply the new law, but was overruled by GNC Vice President Jomaa Atiga.
Following the vote, Atiga adjourned the session until later in the day.
Bousahmein is a law graduate of the University of Benghazi and worked at the Abu Kamash chemical complex from 1978 to 2000.
He was elected to the GNC from his home town of Zuwara and became a rapporteur of the assembly.
The Berbers make up about 10 per cent of Libya`s population. They were persecuted under Gaddafi and continue to feel marginalised under the new regime.
Megaryef was Libya`s ambassador to India in the 1980s under Gaddafi before he defected to become a leader of the exiled opposition for three decades.
He was elected to head the GNC last August following Libya`s first post-uprising polls in July.
He stepped down at the end of May to comply with the law, passed at the beginning of that month, despite it not having yet come into force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!