Berezovsky would never have committed suicide, says friend
London: The exiled Russian tycoon who was found dead in his UK home would never have committed suicide, his friends have insisted.
Police are probing claims that troubled oligarch Boris Berezovsky was murdered at his mansion.
According to the Daily Mirror, Berezovsky`s body was found on the bathroom floor after his bodyguard called emergency services to the home in Ascot, Berks, on Saturday afternoon.
Historian Dr Yuri Felshtinsky said he did not believe his close friend Berezovsky would kill himself.
He added that the oligarch talked openly about his financial difficulties, but despite the problems had been `looking ahead` to testifying at the Litvinenko inquest in London.
Dr Felshtinsky, a Russian who lives in the US, added that "Putin was dealing with Boris in the way he deals with all his enemies. Boris was a fighter and suicide was not in his DNA."
According to the report, the 67-year-old businessman was a prime target for a contract killing because he was due to be a key witness at a hearing next month of former KGB spy Alexander Litvinenko, who was murdered in 2006.
Berezovsky, who was a fierce critic of Russian leader Vladimir Putin, had been on Moscow`s most-wanted list since 2001.
A friend said the tycoon feared for his safety because the Kremlin `aimed to destroy him,` the report said.
A source said several exiled Russian billionaires who have also criticized the Kremlin have now fled their homes in Britain over fears of assassination.
Police initially thought that Berezovsky may have been poisoned by a radioactive substance like Litvinenko was, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16