Berlin terror suspects had ties to Afghan: Report
Berlin: Two alleged militants arrested in
Berlin last week on suspicion of plotting a bomb attack had
links to extremist groups in Afghanistan, German news magazine
Der Spiegel reported.
The report, to be published Monday, said one of the
suspects, a 24-year-old German of Lebanese origin identified
only as Samir M., belonged to a Berlin group of Islamists
backing the German Taliban Mujahedeen in Afghanistan.
Citing documents from the investigation, Der Spiegel said
Samir M. had "good contacts" with two men in Berlin who have
been convicted of abetting a foreign terrorist organisation.
Samir M. was stopped at a Berlin airport in September
2009 from flying to Iran and had his passport confiscated.
He told police he wanted to go hiking in Iran and
Turkey but investigators believe he aimed to join the battle
against NATO troops in Afghanistan, according to Der Spiegel.
Meanwhile authorities believe the second suspect, a
28-year-old Palestinian from the Gaza Strip identified as Hani
N., received training at a "terror camp" in Afghanistan and
had contact with a "known people-smuggler" in Iran.
Der Spiegel quoted investigators as saying he had
tried to acquire large quantities of chemicals to build a bomb
including sulfuric acid and packs of dry ice containing
It added that investigators believe the suspects had
not developed a plan for an attack.
The men were detained Thursday and remanded in custody
Friday, ahead of the 10th anniversary of the September 11,
2001 attacks in the United States and a papal visit to Germany
later this month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata