Berlin terror suspects had ties to Afghan: Report
Berlin: Two alleged militants arrested in
Berlin last week on suspicion of plotting a bomb attack had
links to extremist groups in Afghanistan, German news magazine
Der Spiegel reported.
The report, to be published Monday, said one of the
suspects, a 24-year-old German of Lebanese origin identified
only as Samir M., belonged to a Berlin group of Islamists
backing the German Taliban Mujahedeen in Afghanistan.
Citing documents from the investigation, Der Spiegel said
Samir M. had "good contacts" with two men in Berlin who have
been convicted of abetting a foreign terrorist organisation.
Samir M. was stopped at a Berlin airport in September
2009 from flying to Iran and had his passport confiscated.
He told police he wanted to go hiking in Iran and
Turkey but investigators believe he aimed to join the battle
against NATO troops in Afghanistan, according to Der Spiegel.
Meanwhile authorities believe the second suspect, a
28-year-old Palestinian from the Gaza Strip identified as Hani
N., received training at a "terror camp" in Afghanistan and
had contact with a "known people-smuggler" in Iran.
Der Spiegel quoted investigators as saying he had
tried to acquire large quantities of chemicals to build a bomb
including sulfuric acid and packs of dry ice containing
It added that investigators believe the suspects had
not developed a plan for an attack.
The men were detained Thursday and remanded in custody
Friday, ahead of the 10th anniversary of the September 11,
2001 attacks in the United States and a papal visit to Germany
later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read