Berlin Wall fall raised a generation of criminals?
London: The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 may have blighted a generation of children in east Germany, who were more likely to commit crimes than their west German peers, a new study claims.
According to researchers, kids born to parents in former East Germany between 1991 and 1993 were at least 50 per cent more likely to become criminals as they grew up.
The possible reason behind the trend was that the sudden collapse of the Communist regime created uncertainty about starting families, and led to a huge drop in the birth rate, they said.
The study noted that women who had children were "younger, less educated and more likely to be unmarried mothers."
Researchers Arnaud Chevalier, of Royal Holloway University of London and Olivier Marie of the University of Maastricht, argue that this explained the criminal behaviour of the "Children of the Wall".
They suggest that the parents of the children born immediately after re-unification were less likely to have good parenting skills, `The Telegraph` reported.
"Our results seem to confirm that parental selection may be the best predictor of future criminality," researchers said.
From the age of eight onwards, the children of this generation were far more likely to be arrested by the police, the researchers found.
They are also over-represented in the total criminal population by more than two-thirds.
The study looked at whether the crime rate might be explained by poor school performance, but found that there were no significant differences between the East German children and Western counterparts when it came to dropping out of school or repeating grades.
Researchers also found that the children were no more likely than Westerners to argue or fight with their parents but were less likely to report feeling loved.
"This indicates that parents who decided to have children at time of great economic uncertainties may have been worse parents who did not develop the appropriate emotional connection with their children," the researchers said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22