BerlinCourt issues warrant against terror suspects
Berlin: A court in Berlin has issued arrest
warrants against two terror suspects of Arab origin, detained
by police earlier after the security authorities uncovered an
alleged plot to carry out a bomb attack.
A 24-year-old German national of Lebanese origin and a
28-year-old man from the Gaza Strip are accused of plotting to
make one or several "crude" bombs by obtaining large
quantities of chemicals.
A magistrate, who questioned the two men last evening,
ordered to keep them in preventive custody because of a
possibility that they might flee, a spokesman for the state
They are being investigated under a new clause of the
German penal code, which makes preparations to carry out a
terror attack a criminal act liable for punishment.
The investigators are currently examining chemicals,
computer, USB sticks, discs, documents and other material
confiscated during police raids on the two men`s houses and an
Islamic cultural centre in Berlin on Thursday.
Investigations are focusing on the possibility that they
were preparing to carry out "major violent crime against the
state," the spokesman said.
Media reports said the two men had acquired large
quantities of acetone, hydrochloric acid and several coolants,
which could be used to make one or several "crude" bombs, but
their preparations were in a very preliminary stage.
Their alleged bomb plot was uncovered after the companies,
which supplied the chemicals, became suspicious about the
large quantities they have ordered.
The German interior ministry in Berlin said a tip-off from
a foreign intelligence service also led to their arrests.
Meanwhile, weekly news magazine Der Spiegel reported that
the two men maintained regular contacts with the terror groups
in Afghanistan and one of them received training in a
training camp along the border areas between Afghanistan and
The German national of Lebanese origin belongs to a group
of Islamic radicals in Berlin, which supported the "German
Taliban Mujahideen" in Afghanistan, Der Spiegel said.
Two years ago, the security authorities at Berlin`s Tegel
airport prevented him from travelling to Iran and his passport
The investigators believe that he wanted to join the
terrorist organisations in Afghanistan, the magazine said.
He also had contacts with two other Islamic radicals in
Berlin, who were sentenced to prison terms for supporting
terrorist organisations abroad, according to the magazine.
In the case of the man from the Gaza Strip, investigators
have received evidence that he received training in a
terrorist training camp in Afghanistan and he was in contact
with an Iranian who organises human trafficking, Der Spiegel
The German Federal Prosecutor`s Office said today that on
the basis of the information available so far, it sees no need
to take up the investigations into the foiled bomb plot from
the state prosecutors in Berlin.
The German interior ministry said the security authorities
have no concrete warnings for a terrorist attack on the
occasion of Sunday`s tenth anniversary of the terrorist
attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon
in Washington and therefore there is no need to further
tighten the security situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside