Berlusconi appears in court, denies sex charges
Rome: Italy`s ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared in court Friday to deny links to underage prostitutes and refute charges that he misused his office, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported.
"I never had intimate relations with `Ruby`," Berlusconi, 76, said, referring to Karima El-Mahroug, who is also known as Ruby Rubacuori, adding that he had loaned her money to help her open a beauty salon, and that he believed she was over 18.
Italy`s ex-PM is accused of having sexual relations with "Ruby" when she was under 18, for which she is alleged to have received presents and monetary rewards. She is also believed to have attended debauched private events Berlusconi hosted, which the media has dubbed "bunga-bunga" parties.
Speaking in court, Berlusconi denied that his home had ever seen "scenes of a sexual nature", adding that the term "bunga-bunga" was derived from a joke he made that was picked up by the media.
He also stressed that he had never misused his position to secure her release from prison, saying he had "never put pressure on the police", La Repubblica reported.
Corruption charges also brought against him were thrown out of court in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured