Berlusconi appears in court, denies sex charges
Rome: Italy`s ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared in court Friday to deny links to underage prostitutes and refute charges that he misused his office, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported.
"I never had intimate relations with `Ruby`," Berlusconi, 76, said, referring to Karima El-Mahroug, who is also known as Ruby Rubacuori, adding that he had loaned her money to help her open a beauty salon, and that he believed she was over 18.
Italy`s ex-PM is accused of having sexual relations with "Ruby" when she was under 18, for which she is alleged to have received presents and monetary rewards. She is also believed to have attended debauched private events Berlusconi hosted, which the media has dubbed "bunga-bunga" parties.
Speaking in court, Berlusconi denied that his home had ever seen "scenes of a sexual nature", adding that the term "bunga-bunga" was derived from a joke he made that was picked up by the media.
He also stressed that he had never misused his position to secure her release from prison, saying he had "never put pressure on the police", La Repubblica reported.
Corruption charges also brought against him were thrown out of court in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!