Berlusconi appears in court, denies sex charges
Rome: Italy`s ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared in court Friday to deny links to underage prostitutes and refute charges that he misused his office, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported.
"I never had intimate relations with `Ruby`," Berlusconi, 76, said, referring to Karima El-Mahroug, who is also known as Ruby Rubacuori, adding that he had loaned her money to help her open a beauty salon, and that he believed she was over 18.
Italy`s ex-PM is accused of having sexual relations with "Ruby" when she was under 18, for which she is alleged to have received presents and monetary rewards. She is also believed to have attended debauched private events Berlusconi hosted, which the media has dubbed "bunga-bunga" parties.
Speaking in court, Berlusconi denied that his home had ever seen "scenes of a sexual nature", adding that the term "bunga-bunga" was derived from a joke he made that was picked up by the media.
He also stressed that he had never misused his position to secure her release from prison, saying he had "never put pressure on the police", La Repubblica reported.
Corruption charges also brought against him were thrown out of court in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test