Berlusconi appears in court, denies sex charges
Rome: Italy`s ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared in court Friday to deny links to underage prostitutes and refute charges that he misused his office, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported.
"I never had intimate relations with `Ruby`," Berlusconi, 76, said, referring to Karima El-Mahroug, who is also known as Ruby Rubacuori, adding that he had loaned her money to help her open a beauty salon, and that he believed she was over 18.
Italy`s ex-PM is accused of having sexual relations with "Ruby" when she was under 18, for which she is alleged to have received presents and monetary rewards. She is also believed to have attended debauched private events Berlusconi hosted, which the media has dubbed "bunga-bunga" parties.
Speaking in court, Berlusconi denied that his home had ever seen "scenes of a sexual nature", adding that the term "bunga-bunga" was derived from a joke he made that was picked up by the media.
He also stressed that he had never misused his position to secure her release from prison, saying he had "never put pressure on the police", La Repubblica reported.
Corruption charges also brought against him were thrown out of court in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video