Berlusconi appears in court, denies sex charges
Rome: Italy`s ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared in court Friday to deny links to underage prostitutes and refute charges that he misused his office, the Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported.
"I never had intimate relations with `Ruby`," Berlusconi, 76, said, referring to Karima El-Mahroug, who is also known as Ruby Rubacuori, adding that he had loaned her money to help her open a beauty salon, and that he believed she was over 18.
Italy`s ex-PM is accused of having sexual relations with "Ruby" when she was under 18, for which she is alleged to have received presents and monetary rewards. She is also believed to have attended debauched private events Berlusconi hosted, which the media has dubbed "bunga-bunga" parties.
Speaking in court, Berlusconi denied that his home had ever seen "scenes of a sexual nature", adding that the term "bunga-bunga" was derived from a joke he made that was picked up by the media.
He also stressed that he had never misused his position to secure her release from prison, saying he had "never put pressure on the police", La Repubblica reported.
Corruption charges also brought against him were thrown out of court in February 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dhaka attack suspect sent to 16-day judicial remand
- Exercise maximum possible restraint while dealing with mob: Army Chief to security forces
- Anti-pollution campaign bags global environment award
- Duleep Trophy: Floodlight malfunction grabs more attention than Pink ball
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000