Berlusconi plans ‘to run for Italy PM again’
London: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s party has given strong indications that he will run for office again next year, according to a report.
The People of Freedom (PDL) party has cancelled its leadership primary and a senior figure said Berlusconi would run for PM again.
Berlusconi resigned in 2011 over Italy`s economic troubles and was convicted of tax fraud in October of this year.
Despite this, the PDL`s Secretary General Angelino Alfano was quoted in Italian media on Thursday as saying the 76-year-old would run again, the BBC reports.
According to the report, Berlusconi himself also said on Wednesday that he was being ‘assailed by requests’ to return to politics.
He has already served as Italy`s prime minister for three separate terms and built up what is believed to be a vast personal fortune from his business empire, the report said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minster just over a year ago, and launched a programme of reforms aimed at pulling Italy out of economic crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison