Berlusconi plans ‘to run for Italy PM again’
London: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s party has given strong indications that he will run for office again next year, according to a report.
The People of Freedom (PDL) party has cancelled its leadership primary and a senior figure said Berlusconi would run for PM again.
Berlusconi resigned in 2011 over Italy`s economic troubles and was convicted of tax fraud in October of this year.
Despite this, the PDL`s Secretary General Angelino Alfano was quoted in Italian media on Thursday as saying the 76-year-old would run again, the BBC reports.
According to the report, Berlusconi himself also said on Wednesday that he was being ‘assailed by requests’ to return to politics.
He has already served as Italy`s prime minister for three separate terms and built up what is believed to be a vast personal fortune from his business empire, the report said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minster just over a year ago, and launched a programme of reforms aimed at pulling Italy out of economic crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Check UBSE / UEEB 10th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 announced
- Check UBSE / UEEB 12th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 12th Exam Results 2016 declared
- FSSAI probing 'cancer-causing bread' issue, may ban harmful food additives
- Afghan Taliban confirms death of Mansour, names Haibatullah Akhundzada as new leader
- We envy you, Sonakshi Sinha!– Here's why