Berlusconi plans ‘to run for Italy PM again’
London: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s party has given strong indications that he will run for office again next year, according to a report.
The People of Freedom (PDL) party has cancelled its leadership primary and a senior figure said Berlusconi would run for PM again.
Berlusconi resigned in 2011 over Italy`s economic troubles and was convicted of tax fraud in October of this year.
Despite this, the PDL`s Secretary General Angelino Alfano was quoted in Italian media on Thursday as saying the 76-year-old would run again, the BBC reports.
According to the report, Berlusconi himself also said on Wednesday that he was being ‘assailed by requests’ to return to politics.
He has already served as Italy`s prime minister for three separate terms and built up what is believed to be a vast personal fortune from his business empire, the report said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti replaced Berlusconi as prime minster just over a year ago, and launched a programme of reforms aimed at pulling Italy out of economic crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead