Berlusconi `still paying women` from `bunga bunga` parties
Sydney: Women giving evidence on behalf of Silvio Berlusconi in his sex trial are still receiving large cash payments from the former prime minister, it has been revealed.
Miriam Loddo, an actress and model alleged to have attended Berlusconi’s so-called “bunga bunga” parties, told the court in Milan heard on Monday that he was paying her 2500 euros a month.
The billionaire businessman has said in the past that he paid the young women because their lives were “ruined” by prosecutors’ allegations that they were prostitutes whom he paid for sex.
In a separate but closely related trial last Friday, a group of young women confirmed that they too continued to receive generous sums from Berlusconi and that he often paid their rent.
Eleonora De Vivo, Marysthelle Polanco, Elisa Toti, Ioana Visan and Aris Espinoza all allegedly attended the gatherings at Berlusconi’s mansion at Arcore, outside Milan.
“I receive 2500 euros a month because I know Silvio Berlusconi, because I have a little girl and because after the scandal I was portrayed as a whore,” Polanco said.
Visan said Berlusconi had also given her a one-off gift of 10,000 euros.
Toti denied the girls had engaged in any sexual activities at the parties, saying that “at most girls stripped down to their underwear” and that the phrase “bunga bunga” was just a joke among the female guests.
Berlusconi, who resigned a year ago, is accused of abuse of office and paying for sex with an alleged under-age prostitute, Karima El Mahrouga, a dancer who called herself Ruby the Heart Stealer.
If convicted of the two charges he could be jailed for up to 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof