Berlusconi suffers crushing local election defeats
Milan: Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi`s
coalition has suffered a humiliating defeat in mayoral elections in Milan and Naples, casting doubt over the legally embattled Italian leader`s future.
Left-wing lawyer Giuliano Pisapia triumphed in Milan
against Letizia Moratti from Berlusconi`s People of Freedom
party, ending the right`s 18-year hold on the city and dealing
a heavy blow to the Italian premier in his home town.
Pisapia garnered 55.10 percent of the vote, while
Moratti won 44.89 percent in the second round of a mayoral
vote held on Sunday and Monday.
In Naples, which was already controlled by the left,
Luigi De Magistris, a former prosecutor, also won out against
his rival with 65.37 per cent.
The centre-right lost other votes in Cagliari, Novara
and Trieste but the defeat in Milan -- Italy`s economic
capital -- was seen as the most symbolically significant and a
bellwether for anti-Berlusconi sentiment.
"I am delighted! This is an awakening of consciences
that have been asleep during years of incivility, of an
absence of culture," said Giovanna Cardarelli, 55, in a crowd
of thousands rallying in front of Milan cathedral.
Berlusconi had actively campaigned on Moratti`s behalf
and declared the vote should be seen as a test of his
popularity, which has been falling after a series of legal and
sex scandals and continued weakness in the economy.
Berlusconi`s trial on charges of having sex with an
underage prostitute and abuse of power is to resume in Milan
tomorrow, although he will not attend.
Analysts say the defeat will put pressure on the
coalition between Berlusconi and the Northern League party,
which has shown signs of growing disenchantment with the prime
minister`s leadership in recent weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!