Berlusconi under fire for crude joke about Merkel
London: Silvio Berlusconi, the embattled Prime Minister of Italy, is at the centre of a fresh controversy, this time for allegedly making a crude joke about the Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, during a taped phone call.
The Italian Prime Minister, 74, is accused of insulting his fellow European leader during a conversation with a newspaper editor.
It has been suggested that, in a phone call in early July, Mr Berlusconi referred to 57-year-old Mrs Merkel as ‘an un****able fat ****’, reports the Daily Mail.
The alleged remarks were picked up by investigators probing a 660,000-pound blackmail plot against the Italian premier.
Yesterday the news moved to Germany where the country’s best-selling paper Bild ran the story under the headline, ‘Did Berlusconi insult our Chancellor Merkel?’
Mr Berlusconi’s spokesman last night said they had no comment. Il Giornale, the newspaper owned by his family, described the allegation as ‘gossip’.
Berlusconi is currently involved in four trials, including one for having sex with an underage prostitute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal
- OP Jaisha's ordeal: Marathon runner demands enquiry after AFI says she refused to avail energy drinks
- Pokemon Go fever fading in United States
- Big three leaders insist EU not finished after Brexit
- Renault Kwid (1.0-litre) SCe vs Maruti Alto K10 vs Hyundai Eon 1.0-litre - Spec Comparison