Berlusconi under fire for crude joke about Merkel
London: Silvio Berlusconi, the embattled Prime Minister of Italy, is at the centre of a fresh controversy, this time for allegedly making a crude joke about the Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, during a taped phone call.
The Italian Prime Minister, 74, is accused of insulting his fellow European leader during a conversation with a newspaper editor.
It has been suggested that, in a phone call in early July, Mr Berlusconi referred to 57-year-old Mrs Merkel as ‘an un****able fat ****’, reports the Daily Mail.
The alleged remarks were picked up by investigators probing a 660,000-pound blackmail plot against the Italian premier.
Yesterday the news moved to Germany where the country’s best-selling paper Bild ran the story under the headline, ‘Did Berlusconi insult our Chancellor Merkel?’
Mr Berlusconi’s spokesman last night said they had no comment. Il Giornale, the newspaper owned by his family, described the allegation as ‘gossip’.
Berlusconi is currently involved in four trials, including one for having sex with an underage prostitute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future