Berlusconi under fire for crude joke about Merkel
London: Silvio Berlusconi, the embattled Prime Minister of Italy, is at the centre of a fresh controversy, this time for allegedly making a crude joke about the Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, during a taped phone call.
The Italian Prime Minister, 74, is accused of insulting his fellow European leader during a conversation with a newspaper editor.
It has been suggested that, in a phone call in early July, Mr Berlusconi referred to 57-year-old Mrs Merkel as ‘an un****able fat ****’, reports the Daily Mail.
The alleged remarks were picked up by investigators probing a 660,000-pound blackmail plot against the Italian premier.
Yesterday the news moved to Germany where the country’s best-selling paper Bild ran the story under the headline, ‘Did Berlusconi insult our Chancellor Merkel?’
Mr Berlusconi’s spokesman last night said they had no comment. Il Giornale, the newspaper owned by his family, described the allegation as ‘gossip’.
Berlusconi is currently involved in four trials, including one for having sex with an underage prostitute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery