Berlusconi voters like his daughter for Italian PM
Rome: Silvio Berlusconi`s daughter Marina, touted as his possible political successor, was given a boost in a poll published today showing that the flamboyant ex-premier`s supporters think she is prime minister material.
Some 65 per cent of voters for Berlusconi`s People of Freedom (PDL) party think 47-year-old Marina Berlusconi "would be suitable for the office of prime minister", according to the SWG institute poll published in the Corriere della Sera daily.
The sentiment was shared by 57 per cent of the centre-right.
Speculation is rife in Italy over whether Berlusconi, embroiled in a series of court cases, is planning to hand over the reins of his party to his eldest daughter -- though she has repeatedly denied an interest in entering politics.
Berlusconi`s conviction for tax fraud earlier this year and an upcoming Senate vote on whether to expel him from parliament have threatened to weaken his grip on his party, and Marina appears to be the only choice for successor.
His former protege Angelino Alfano led a revolt against Berlusconi`s hardline allies earlier this month, a betrayal the mogul has not forgiven.
Marina, who sits at the helm of the Berlusconi family`s powerful holding company Fininvest, has refused so far to give up her business career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert