Berlusconi wants to be economy minister in 2013
Rome: Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has said he would like to be economy minister if his conservative party wins the elections in 2013.
Speaking to members of his People of Freedom Party, the 75-year-old billionaire politician said he would take the economy portfolio under a government led by party secretary Angelino Alfano, who Berlusconi anointed as his successor last year.
Berlusconi in November last year resigned as prime minister after a debt crisis spiralled out of control, raising the real possibility that Italy could miss payments on its EUR 1.9 trillion of debt.
In what appeared to be a preview of his election campaign themes, Berlusconi has recently repackaged himself as a euro-sceptic, saying that it would not be bad to leave the 17-member single currency alliance.
Berlusconi also told party leaders that it would be "catastrophic" if the unelected government led by prime minister Mario Monti were to collapse.
"I have spoken with Brussels, they say Monti`s fall would be `catastrophic`," Berlusconi said.
Support for Monti has plummeted amid spending cuts and a protracted recession, sparking speculation of early elections in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened