Berlusconi wants to be economy minister, not PM
Rome: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said Monday he has reached an agreement with the Northern League party to jointly fight the upcoming elections and that he wants to be the country`s economy minister in the new government.
Telling the Italian media that his People of Freedom (PDL) party has struck the deal with the Northern League, which was a coalition partner in his last government, Berlusconi said he does not plan to serve another term as the prime minister.
People of Freedom party`s secretary Angelino Alfano is a most likely candidate for the prime minister`s post, if they win at the February elections, Berlusconi told Rtl 102.5 Italian radio station.
Talks between the two parties had lasted for several weeks with the Northern League`s head Roberto Maroni insisting Berlusconi withdraw his candidacy for prime minister.
An opinion poll published earlier suggested the PDL and Northern League would win 28 percent of the vote. A centre-left coalition head by Pier Luigi Bersani of the Democratic Party would gather between 38 and 39 percent, while Prime Minister Mario Monti`s centrist bloc could get around 15 percent, the poll said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video