Berlusconi would not have faced trial `if he was gay`: Putin
Valdai: Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that his friend, Italy`s convicted former premier Silvio Berlusconi would not have gone on trial for sex with a minor if he was gay.
"Berlusconi is on trial for living with women, but if he were a homosexual, nobody would dare touch him," Putin said during a discussion with international experts and journalists at the Valdai Club in the northwestern Novgorod region.
The remark was met by roars of laughter from the audience.
Berlusconi, 76, is appealing a conviction for having sex with an underage prostitute nicknamed Ruby the Heart Stealer.
The Valdai forum is a discussion organised annually by Russia`s state news agency RIA Novosti that invites various foreign speakers to discuss Russia.
Putin has come under fire for his anti-gay stance since he signed a controversial "gay propaganda" law in June that bans disseminating information about homosexuality to minors.
Outrage in the West has also led to calls to boycott the Winter Olympics in Russia`s Sochi resort next year.
Putin frequently defends "traditional" values and said at the Valdai club that Western countries had forgotten their Christian roots and were "denying moral principles and traditional identities," including in "sexual" matters.
The Russian president is known to be friends with Berlusconi, who has flown in to Russia for several of Putin`s birthdays and to celebrate his victory in presidential polls last year.
The former Italian prime minister has also been accused of homophobia.
"I am always working flat out and sometimes I look at beautiful women...It`s better to be passionate about beautiful women than to be gay," Berlusconi said in the midst of the sex scandal in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees