Khartoum: President Omar al-Beshir dissolved
the Sudanese government Sunday four days after he was sworn in
for a new term, ahead of the formation of a fresh cabinet
"President Beshir decided to dissolve the government
formed after the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Accord (between
Khartoum and southern rebels) ahead of a broader cabinet,"
said Omar Mohammed Saleh, a government spokesman.
Beshir has asked the ministers of defence and
presidential affairs, Abdelrahim Mohammed Hussein and Bakri
Hassan Saleh, to stay on in their posts until the new
government is formed.
The minister of state for cabinet affairs, Kamal
Abdellatif, will also keep his post until the formation of a
new team including the various factions which contested
April`s general election, the spokesman said.
Beshir`s decision was announced at a meeting of the
Negotiations are underway between Beshir`s National
Congress Party which swept the election and the ex-rebel Sudan
People`s Liberation Movement (SPLM) to bring smaller factions
loyal to the regime into a new cabinet line-up.
Last month`s legislative, presidential and local
elections were a key part of a 2005 peace agreement that put
an end to a devastating two-decade civil war with the SPLM.
Beshir was declared winner in the April 11-15 election
with 67 per cent of the presidential vote, but the polls were
marred by accusations of fraud and logistical problems.
His re-election for another five-year term was virtually
guaranteed after the withdrawal of his two main challengers
ahead of polling day.
Observers from the European Union and the Carter Centre
monitoring the elections said after the vote that it had
failed to reach international standards.