Bidzina Ivanishvili endorsed as Georgia`s PM
Kutaisi (Georgia): Georgia`s Parliament on Thursday approved a billionaire as the country`s new Prime Minister and endorsed his government.
Bidzina Ivanishvili`s coalition won the October 01 Parliamentary Election. Lawmakers voted 88-54 to approve his Cabinet.
Ivanishvili and his political opponent, President Mikhail Saakashvili, will have to work together for the first year of the new government.
When Saakashvili`s second and final term ends in October 2013, a constitutional reform will transfer many of the President`s powers to the Prime Minister.
Ivanishvili, who made his fortune in Russia, has stressed the need to restore relations with Moscow that have been severed since the two countries fought a brief war in August 2008.
He said after his approval yesterday that Georgia will rely on international assistance to try to start a dialogue with Russia "with a goal of developing a strategy for overcoming a crisis in bilateral ties”.
At the same time he vowed to continue Saakashvili`s course to integrate more closely with the West.
"Georgia will aspire to join the European Union, maintain its Euro-Atlantic orientation and integrate with NATO," he told reporters.
Ivanishvili emphasised that "the United States remains Georgia`s main ally”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical