Big protest in Spain against government austerity
Madrid: Tens of thousands of demonstrators from across Spain have marched in central Madrid to protest government measures they claim have eroded civil rights in the country.
Six columns of protesters, each from a different region of Spain, arrived at the outskirts of the city yesterday before heading for Colon square, carrying banners bearing the slogan "Marching for Dignity."
By late afternoon, Madrid`s principal boulevard, Paseo del Prado, was packed with people chanting against government`s austerity policies and the cuts they have entailed.
The protest includes trade unions, civil servants and organisations representing people evicted from their homes for not being able to make mortgage payments after losing their jobs.
One woman carried a banner saying, "My daughter can`t be here because she`s had to emigrate."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video