Billionaire bashed for putting rich-haters on par with Nazis
San Francisco: Billionaire Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tom Perkins was at the centre of a social media firestorm for comparing protests against the rich to Nazi persecution of Jews.
Perkins` publicly stated position even prompted the powerhouse investment firm bearing his name, Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers, to say he was not speaking on its behalf.
"Tom Perkins has not been involved in KPCB in years," the venture capital firm that Perkins helped create said in a message fired off at Twitter, which was among its investments.
"We were shocked by his views expressed today in the WSJ and do not agree."
Meanwhile, Perkins yesterday was standing behind what he said in a letter published in the Wall Street Joural letter that ignited controversy over the weekend.
"Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its `one percent,` namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the `rich," Perkins said in the opening of the letter.
"This is a very dangerous drift in our American thinking," he wrote. "Kristallnacht was unthinkable in 1930. Is its decendent `progressive` radicalism unthinkable now?"
Perkins noted the Occupy movement and recent protests in San Francisco over buses provided by Google to shuttle tech workers to Silicon Valley.
Activists in San Francisco have taken to blaming Internet company employees for driving up rents, housing prices and other aspects of living here.
"We have outrage over the rising real-estate prices which these `techno geeks` can pay," Perkins wrote.
Perkins yesterday openly apologised for the `Kritallnacht` reference but said that he still sees the demonization of the rich as a dangerous trend.
A Twitter post by @OccupyWallStNYC dismissed Perkins assertion as "insane."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced