Bishops in US come out against military strikes on Syria
Washington: Leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in the United States opposed military action against Syria, saying it would led to "unintended negative consequences."
In a letter to President Barack Obama, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops yesterday said Washington should instead "work urgently and tirelessly" with others to end Syria`s drawn-out civil war.
While condemning the use of chemical weapons in Syria, it said Pope Francis and Christian bishops in the Middle East have both urged the international community to avoid military intervention.
"They have made it clear that a military attack will be counterproductive, will exacerbate an already deadly situation and will have unintended negative consequences," it stated.
Co-signing the letter were New York`s Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the Conference, and Bishop Richard Pates of Iowa, chair of its international justice and peace committee.
The Roman Catholic Church is the biggest Christian denomination in the United States.
Obama himself was in Sweden yesterday, en route to Russia for the G-20 summit where he is expected to rally global support for punitive strikes against Syria.
Pope Francis has declared this Saturday a day of fasting and prayer for Syria, having said last weekend that "God and history" will judge those who use chemical weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!