BJP MLA arrested for Muzaffarnagar violence
Muzaffarnagar: BJP legislator Kunwar Bhartendu Singh, accused of inciting last month riots in Muzaffarnagar, was on Thursday apprehended by the Uttar Pradesh police and sent to 14-day judicial custody.
Singh was arrested by police after a press conference here in which he claimed his innocence and said he was being targeted by political rivals.
The MLA from Bijnor constituency is the third legislator from BJP, who has been arrested for the Muzaffarnagar violence. BJP MLAs Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana were earlier arrested.
Singh has been arrested on the charges of violating prohibitory orders and provoking communal tension by making inflammatory speeches during a panchayat meet in Nagla Mandaur village, police said.
He has been sent to 14-day judicial custody and his bail plea will be heard tomorrow, they said.
The BJP MLA was among the 16 politicians and community leaders against whom non-bailable warrants were issued by a court in Muzaffarnagar in connection with last month`s riots.
The communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas claimed 62 lives and displaced over 40,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'