BJP MLA arrested for Muzaffarnagar violence
Muzaffarnagar: BJP legislator Kunwar Bhartendu Singh, accused of inciting last month riots in Muzaffarnagar, was on Thursday apprehended by the Uttar Pradesh police and sent to 14-day judicial custody.
Singh was arrested by police after a press conference here in which he claimed his innocence and said he was being targeted by political rivals.
The MLA from Bijnor constituency is the third legislator from BJP, who has been arrested for the Muzaffarnagar violence. BJP MLAs Sangeet Som and Suresh Rana were earlier arrested.
Singh has been arrested on the charges of violating prohibitory orders and provoking communal tension by making inflammatory speeches during a panchayat meet in Nagla Mandaur village, police said.
He has been sent to 14-day judicial custody and his bail plea will be heard tomorrow, they said.
The BJP MLA was among the 16 politicians and community leaders against whom non-bailable warrants were issued by a court in Muzaffarnagar in connection with last month`s riots.
The communal clashes in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas claimed 62 lives and displaced over 40,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Pakistan forces seal MQM party headquarters after TV station attack
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi floats new front
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam