`Black rain` in wider area than believed: Report
Hiroshima: "Black rain" following the 1945 US atomic bombing of the city of Hiroshima appears to have fallen in wider areas than previously believed, according to a research by the city government.
The central government has provided free medical checkups to those who were in areas hit by the contaminated rain for more than one hour, designated as heavy rain districts, while those who were in areas which received black rain for less than one hour, designated as light rain districts, have asked the state to review the criterion.
The municipal government conducted the survey in 2008 to study how the black rain has affected its residents who were born before the August 6, 1945, atomic bombing of the city.
The survey shows that respondents who were soaked with black rain were distributed in areas double to triple the size of the light rain districts, and that areas double the size of the heavy rain district are believed to have been hit by black rain for more than two hours.
Among those who were in the heavy rain districts, 16 percent said they suffered diarrhoea or hair loss, believed to be acute symptoms of radiation exposure, following the black rain, according to the study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'