`Black rain` in wider area than believed: Report
Hiroshima: "Black rain" following the 1945 US atomic bombing of the city of Hiroshima appears to have fallen in wider areas than previously believed, according to a research by the city government.
The central government has provided free medical checkups to those who were in areas hit by the contaminated rain for more than one hour, designated as heavy rain districts, while those who were in areas which received black rain for less than one hour, designated as light rain districts, have asked the state to review the criterion.
The municipal government conducted the survey in 2008 to study how the black rain has affected its residents who were born before the August 6, 1945, atomic bombing of the city.
The survey shows that respondents who were soaked with black rain were distributed in areas double to triple the size of the light rain districts, and that areas double the size of the heavy rain district are believed to have been hit by black rain for more than two hours.
Among those who were in the heavy rain districts, 16 percent said they suffered diarrhoea or hair loss, believed to be acute symptoms of radiation exposure, following the black rain, according to the study.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why