Blackout leaves millions of Chileans in darkness
Santiago: A blackout has plunged millions of Chileans into darkness and rattled a country already anxious after last month`s 8.8-magnitude quake.
The director of the Interior Ministry`s emergency office says a 1,200-mile (2,000-kilometer) stretch from Taltal in the north to Chiloe in the south has been affected.
Most of Chile`s 17 million people live in that area. Many left their homes and went into the streets. The outage hit on Sunday at nightfall and did not coincide with an aftershock.
Presidency official Cristian Larroulet said it would take several hours to restore power. Authorities are investigating the cause.
The February 27 quake killed at least 497 people and caused an estimated USD 30 billion worth in damage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read