Blackwater settles civil lawsuits on Iraq
Raleigh: The security firm formerly known as Blackwater has reached a settlement in a series of federal lawsuits accusing the company of excessive force against Iraqis.
Plaintiffs` attorney Susan Burke filed a motion in federal court late Wednesday requesting the cases be dismissed. The seven lawsuits accused the company of a pattern of recklessness and illegal activity, citing several killings including a 2007 shooting in Baghdad that left 17 Iraqis dead.
Blackwater, now known as Xe, released a statement saying the settlement allows the company`s new management to move forward without the costs and distractions of the litigation while providing some compensation to Iraqi families.
The terms of the settlement were not released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis