Blackwater settles civil lawsuits on Iraq
Raleigh: The security firm formerly known as Blackwater has reached a settlement in a series of federal lawsuits accusing the company of excessive force against Iraqis.
Plaintiffs` attorney Susan Burke filed a motion in federal court late Wednesday requesting the cases be dismissed. The seven lawsuits accused the company of a pattern of recklessness and illegal activity, citing several killings including a 2007 shooting in Baghdad that left 17 Iraqis dead.
Blackwater, now known as Xe, released a statement saying the settlement allows the company`s new management to move forward without the costs and distractions of the litigation while providing some compensation to Iraqi families.
The terms of the settlement were not released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015