Blagojevich`s conviction delayed
Chicago: Sentencing of former Illinois
Governor Rod Blagojevich, convicted for trying to auction US President Barack Obama’s Senate seat, has been put on hold.
The sentencing that was scheduled for October 6 has been
put on hold for Blagojevich, who was convicted in June on
corruption charges including wire fraud, extortion and bribery by US District Judge James Zagel.
According to the Chicago Tribune, Zagel gave no reason for
the delay in a brief written order, but it didn`t come as a
surprise because Blagojevich`s co-defendant, Springfield power
broker William Cellini, goes on trial before Zagel beginning
Zagel also denied Blagojevich`s bid for a new trial.
Prosecutors have calculated that the former governor could
get as much as 30 years to life under federal sentencing
However, legal experts have estimated a sentence of
anywhere from 10-12 years for the former governor.
"He`s a fit candidate for probation. The taxpayers never
lost a dime. Blagojevich never received a dime," attorney
Sheldon Sorosky was quoted as saying in the Chicago Sun-Times
of his client who was convicted of 17 out of 20 counts
including selling the senate seat of then-President elect
Blagojevich was also charged with pay-to-play politics when he took cash in exchange for job appointments.
"All the talk involving campaign contributions involved
regular campaign donors who were just discussing with
Blagojevich how much to give or who were big campaign
contributors in the past," Sorosky said.
Sorosky said the sentencing would happen early November.
Two Indian American businessmen Rajinder Bedi and
Raghuveer Nayak were accused of helping Blagojevich for
planning to hold a fundraiser in return to appoint Jesse
Jackson Jr in the senate seat. Bedi was an aide in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'