Blair donation `no-win situation`: UK charity
London: A veterans` charity benefiting from sales of former British prime minister Tony Blair`s memoirs said on Saturday that accepting the donation was not an endorsement of his policies.
Chris Simpkins, director-general of the Royal British Legion, told The Times newspaper they were in "almost a no-win situation" over their largest-ever gift.
"A Journey" will be published on September 01 and, as Blair`s first personal account of his 10 years in power from 1997 -- in which he led Britain to war in Iraq and Afghanistan -- it is expected to become a best-seller.
Reports say he has already received a GBP 4.6-million (EUR 5.6 million, USD 7.2 million) advance.
Blair`s donation will go towards the GBP 12 million cost of building a new rehabilitation centre for wounded soldiers.
Acknowledging that some relatives of the war dead had been angered by the donation, Simpkins said it was "almost a no-win situation".
"To have rejected it, I think, was likely to have stimulated equally adverse publicity," he said.
Simpkins said accepting the donation was "absolutely not" an endorsement of Blair`s actions in office.
"We don`t take a view on the political decisions which put our people in harm`s way," he said.
"What drives us in accepting this donation -- aware obviously of the concerns which widows and the families of those who have been seriously wounded, indeed the wounded themselves might have -- is, well, given that we need to support that group of people, wouldn`t it be a bit churlish of us to look a gift horse in the mouth?"
Simpkins said the donation came "without any strings attached and none sought". The centre will not carry Blair`s name and there is no commitment for him to open it, he added.
Blair`s spokesman said on Monday that the former premier had decided on quitting power in 2007 to donate the proceeds of his memoirs to an armed forces charity to mark their "enormous sacrifice".
Simpkins said Blair`s office approached them on August 09. The offer was accepted on August 12 and made public on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe