Blair had `a wobble` over 1998 Iraq bombing campaign
London: Tony Blair had "a bit of a wobble" at the start of a 1998 bombing raid against Iraq after a late-night session reading the Bible, his then communications chief revealed on Saturday.
"TB (Tony Blair) was clearly having a bit of a wobble," wrote Alistair Campbell in his latest book of diaries, extracts of which are being serialised in The Guardian.
"He said he had been reading the Bible last night, as he often did when the really big decisions were on, and he had read something about John the Baptist and Herod which had caused him to rethink, albeit not change his mind."
The diary entry was written on Wednesday December 16, 1998, the first day of a four-day bombing campaign against Iraq -- the first that Blair had ordered since becoming Labour prime minister in 1997.
In 2003, Blair led Britain into a full-scale war against Iraq. Blair will make his second appearance before an official inquiry into the 2003 Iraq war on January 21. In a highly charged hearing in January last year, Blair robustly defended the military action.
Elsewhere in the diaries, Campbell revealed that as Blair realised how his global standing had increased following his election as prime minister, he joked that it was "just a shame Britain is so small, physically".
Blair served as prime minister from 1997 to 2007 and is now Middle East peace envoy. He also has a string of commercial roles.
He converted to Catholicism shortly after leaving office in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win