Blair had `a wobble` over 1998 Iraq bombing campaign
London: Tony Blair had "a bit of a wobble" at the start of a 1998 bombing raid against Iraq after a late-night session reading the Bible, his then communications chief revealed on Saturday.
"TB (Tony Blair) was clearly having a bit of a wobble," wrote Alistair Campbell in his latest book of diaries, extracts of which are being serialised in The Guardian.
"He said he had been reading the Bible last night, as he often did when the really big decisions were on, and he had read something about John the Baptist and Herod which had caused him to rethink, albeit not change his mind."
The diary entry was written on Wednesday December 16, 1998, the first day of a four-day bombing campaign against Iraq -- the first that Blair had ordered since becoming Labour prime minister in 1997.
In 2003, Blair led Britain into a full-scale war against Iraq. Blair will make his second appearance before an official inquiry into the 2003 Iraq war on January 21. In a highly charged hearing in January last year, Blair robustly defended the military action.
Elsewhere in the diaries, Campbell revealed that as Blair realised how his global standing had increased following his election as prime minister, he joked that it was "just a shame Britain is so small, physically".
Blair served as prime minister from 1997 to 2007 and is now Middle East peace envoy. He also has a string of commercial roles.
He converted to Catholicism shortly after leaving office in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!