Blair says Diana was a manipulator like him
London: Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has compared himself to Princess Diana, claiming that they both were adept at grasping the feelings of others and instinctively playing on them.
“We were both, in our own way, manipulators,” The Telegraph quoted Blair as saying.
Blair recalled the night of Aug 31, 1997 when he was woken up by a police officer at 2 am informing him of Princess Di’s accident.
Without wanting to sound callous, he said that he wanted to “manage” the situation and shape the public grief that would follow. He then prepared his now famous “People’s Princess” speech on the back of an envelope with the help of Alastair Campbell.
Blair felt the need for the whole incident to be spoken about, so he approached Prince of Wales, who agreed with him that the Queen should make a public statement.
Blair spent a lot of time with the Queen, both ill at ease since they weren’t familiar with one another at the time.
“I spoke, with passion, of the need to accept life’s lessons. I worried she found me presumptuous — she was a little haughty,” he revealed.
A year later he spent a weekend at Balmoral with Cherie and they had a barbecue where the Royal family served the food and did the dishes.
“You think I’m joking? You’re sitting in front of your empty plate and suddenly, the Queen clears it away for you,” Blair said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you