Blair warns over riot ``diagnosis``
London: Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair has issued a warning that "muddle-headed analysis" of the recent riots by politicians from both left and right is in danger of producing the wrong policy responses.
Blair dismissed claims that the country is in the grip of a "moral decline", insisting the disturbances were "an absolutely specific problem that requires a deeply specific solution, a newspaper reports.
"Focus on the specific problem and we can begin on a proper solution," he wrote in an article, adding: "Elevate this into a high falutin`` wail about a Britain that has lost its way morally and we will depress ourselves unnecessarily, trash our own reputation abroad, and worst of all, miss the chance to deal with the problem in the only way that will work."
Blair said, that while the left argued the rioters were the victims of social deprivation and the right said they needed to take responsibility for their actions, both sides "just miss the point".
He said the main reason for this lay with alienated youths from dysfunctional families living outside "any canons of proper behaviour" - a phenomenon affecting most modern societies in the developed world.
"I think, we are in danger of the wrong analysis leading to the wrong diagnosis, leading to the wrong prescription. The big cause is the group of alienated, disaffected youth, who are outside the social mainstream and, who live in a culture at odds with any canons of proper behaviour,” he said.
"The key is to understand that they aren``t symptomatic of society at large. Failure to get this leads to a completely muddle-headed analysis of what has gone wrong. Britain as a whole is not in the grip of some general ``moral decline``," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Have your tried this colour-changing cake? Watch here!
- 14 athletes in 2008 Beijing Games positive in new drug tests: Russian Olympic Committee
- Afghan Taliban confirm death of chief Mullah Mansour, appoint new leader
- Angry African diplomats seek answers from Indian govt over attacks and harassment
- 7th pay commission: Secretaries group to submit report on revised pay structures by June end