`Blair`s bodyguards brought rocket launcher in Gaza`
London: Two members of the elite Scotland Yard unit which follows Tony Blair around the world are being investigated over claims that they bought a device for launching rockets or grenades to protect former British prime minister.
According to the Daily Mail, the Independent Police Complaints Commission are probing to find out details as to what exactly made the officers purchase the weapon, apparently on expenses, for a trip to Gaza. It is alleged they were not permitted to buy such a device.
The pair have reportedly claimed that it was not bought as a weapon, but was intended to fire ‘smoke bombs’ to prevent any attack on Blair, who is the UN’s Middle East envoy, as any trip by him to Gaza carries huge risks.
Meanwhile, a separate probe has been launched by the IPCC into claims that a member of Blair’s protection team broke rules by accompanying him to Israel and Gaza. The officer was reportedly forbidden from making such visits because his partner has worked for the Israeli security services.
A senior colleague, who allegedly approved the officer’s trips to Israel and Gaza, is also being investigated by the IPCC, the paper said.
Blair had made his first visit to Gaza on March 01 last year, nearly two years after he was appointed special representative for the UN, EU, Russia and the United States. It was the first visit by a British minister since Hamas seized control of Gaza in a coup in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe