Blast derails Russian freight train: Reports
Moscow: A bomb exploded on a railway track in Russia`s Dagestan province on Sunday, derailing a freight train days after suicide bombers killed 12 people in the region, Russian news agencies reported. Nobody was hurt.
The pre-dawn blast on a line leading from Moscow to the ex-Soviet republic of Azerbaijan caused eight carriages of a train carrying construction materials to derail, ITAR-Tass and Interfax reported, citing police and emergency officials.
Russia is on edge after suicide attacks in Moscow and Dagestan killed more than 50 people in the past week.
Security was tight as President Dmitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin attended an overnight ceremony on Russian Orthodox Easter -- the most important holiday for the country`s dominant religion.
On Wednesday, two suicide bombings in the Dagestani town of Kizlyar killed 12 people including nine police officers, authorities said.
That attack came two days after twin suicide bombings in Moscow`s metro killed at least 40 and stoked fears of a major campaign of attacks in Russia`s heartland by militant based in the heavily Muslim North Caucasus, which includes Dagestan.
In November, a bombing blamed on North Caucasus militants killed 26 people on a passenger train from Moscow to St Petersburg.
The Chechen rebel leader seeking an Islamist state across the North Caucasus has claimed responsibility for the Moscow metro bombings. Russian authorities said on Friday that one of the bombers was a 17-year-old Dagestan native, the widow of a militant killed by Russian forces.
Like neighbouring Chechnya and nearby Ingushetia, Dagestan has been plagued by an upsurge of violence in the past two years, with frequent attacks targeting law enforcement.
Sunday`s blast left a 3.5-meter-wide crater on the railbed and damaged some 300 meters of track, ITAR-Tass cite railroad police as saying.
A passenger train from Siberia to Azerbaijan`s capital Baku was stranded on the track by the damage, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details